Historic Crazy Horse Memorial and the picturesque Black Hills are just two of the beautiful outdoor landmarks to visit while teaching and living in South Dakota. “The Mount Rushmore State” offers urban opportunities as well as more remote experiences to suit your “get away” needs. South Dakota does have a need for math teachers at many different levels. Professional organizations provide support to the mathematic teaching profession. South Dakota’s expenditures per student are not far below the national average, and the number of students-per-teacher is a very manageable ratio of 13.7 to 1.
Math Teacher Certification in South Dakota
Math Teaching Qualifications
In order to qualify for certification in South Dakota, prospective teachers must satisfactorily complete an accredited teacher education program.
Credentials & Exams
- Testing Requirements: South Dakota does not require prospective teachers to complete a basic skills test. However, individuals are required to sit for the requisite subject area and/or content knowledge tests, depending on the type of certificate sought.
- Initial License: This is South Dakota’s entry level classroom teacher certificate. It comes in two varieties:
- Five-Year Certificate: To qualify for this certificate, teachers must have completed a teacher preparation program, six credits within the past five years and the required Praxis II tests.
- One-Year Certificate: Prospective teachers who have completed a teacher education program, but have not yet completed the six credit requirement or passed the Praxis II tests, are eligible to apply for this one-year teaching certificate.
- Ten-Year Option: Teachers who have completed an advanced degree or have received National Board Certification are eligible to apply for this one-time license.
- Reciprocity: Teachers applying from other states will need a copy of their out-of-state teaching certificate, test scores for the required examinations and a copy of their transcript(s).
Alternative Certification for Math Teachers
- Before applying for the Alternative Route to Certification Program, a candidate must have an offer of employment with a state-accredited school. Click here for more information on South Dakota’s alternative certification program.
- South Dakota also participates in the Lewis and Clark Region Troops to Teachers Program.
Financial Aid for SD Math Teachers
- South Dakota Critical Need Scholarship: This scholarship is awarded to students in exchange for agreeing to teach in a critical-need area for five years.
Math Teaching Degrees in South Dakota
Below we've listed all of the South Dakota math teacher education programs in our database. We're constantly scouring the web to find new programs to add, so feel free to check back frequently.
6 schools shownFilter School Results
Fast Facts for South Dakota Math Teachers
South Dakota Department of Education
800 Governors Drive
Pierre, SD 57501
Common Core Standards adopted Nov. 2010; implemented 2014-15. Learn more about math standards for South-dakota here.
Teacher Shortages in MathSouth Dakota reported teacher shortages in mathematics in 2014-15.
Expenditure per Student: $9,347
South Dakota’s public K-12 expenditures per student in fall 2012-13 enrollment totaled $9,347, or 84.5% of the national average. (Source: NEA)